Friday, February 27, 2009

Media Blog #4

Earlier this week we did an activity tha included our memories and had to appropriately label a slogn with it's product. The page was fron and back, full of little jingles and slogans. We worked in pairs to see how many we could get correct. I was parners with Steph and we did not do a very good job. We knew most of the slogans and picture it in our heads, but were having difficulties remembering what the advertisement was actually for. The ones that we were able to identify, was thanks to the catchy jingles that were played specifically to make you remember. We knew Gilette, Staples, Milk, KFC, as well as a few more. However, the majority of the page was either left blank, or we guessed because we really had no idea what the product was.

I was always aware of how much advertising there is, but I never truly realized it's complete affects on me. I can usually tell when there are hidden advertisements in shows or movies, and of course there are those silly jingles used so that the viewers will never forget the product. But, I suppose I thought I was a little more immune to it then I really am. During the slogan activity I realized how easy advertisers make it to remember them. Some of the jingles were a little older, and yet I could clearly see the commercial in my head and instintly knew the product it belonged with. I now know that I am not impervious to advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment